Sunday, June 27, 2010

More favorites...

I got this book at a book sale at Garden Ridge for $1.00. I wasn't really expecting it to be anything big, just something to kill time whenever I was bored at work or when I wanted to read before I went to sleep. Anyway, I was highly impressed with the story! The story is one of magic, adventure, and good vs. evil. I really enjoyed reading this book and it has become one of my favorite books! If you're looking for a good book to read for action and adventure, I suggest you pick up a copy of Puddlejumpers today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Witches, witches and more witches! This historical account tells the story of the first witch trials, not in New England, but in Pendle Forest in Northern England. Mother Demdike, a village medicine woman, and her family are all accused of witchcraft because they practice the traditions and rituals of long ago. When villagers mysteriously began to die, Mother Demdike and her family are faulted and labelled witches. This is a great read, I couldn't put it down and read the entire thing in 2 days! Sharratt writes well and coherently, creating an atmospheric feel - Pendle Forrest and the characters come to life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After reading the positive reviews of this book on Amazon, I thought I'd read it. I really liked this book because it was an easy read. It deals with the psychological & social disorders of two sisters who are shunned by their neighbors, who hold the eldest sister responsible for the death of nearly everyone in her family, despite the fact that there is evidence to prove her guilty. Because she is ridiculed, the eldest sister, who seems to be suffering from aragrophobia, is afraid to venture outside the house. She depends on her younger sister, who is mentally retarded, but has keen common sense; and is very deceptive. The story is told cleverly from the mentally retarded sister's point-of-view so it can be a bit distorted, which gives this book its mystery and suspense - it works. Towards the end of the book, you almost feel sorry for the two sisters, as their mental states hinder them and leave them literally captived in both mental and physical "shells" that they cannot overcome. This book is a great read for those of you who may be into psychology or studying it! :)
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NEW!

What can I say other than Daphne Du Maurier does it again.  I was sucked in at once to this atomospheric novel by the rich description that Du Maurier gives that literally paints a mental picture of the setting and the characters.

Young Philip Ashley's uncle Ambrose is all he has in the world, which is why he is heartbroken when he learns that his uncle has succumbed to death during his stay in Italy with his new Italian wife, Rachel, who soon comes to England to live at her deceased husband's estate.  At first Philip is not at all happy with the idea of having his "cousin" Rachel at his and Ambrose's house, but soon, Philip falls for Rachel's charm and is sucked in, and things take a turn for the worst now that the estate becomes fully run by her, but Philip is much too blinded by love and infactuation to see it all.

All in all, this is a nice, exciting read.  The book is a mystery because what you think will happen in the end doesn't happen at all.  I also found myself totally upset with the main character's naivety and weak mindedness when Rachel comes into the picture.  I often cursed him and said to myself that he deserved EVERYTHING he got!  Hahaha  This book is definitely worth a read.  Another great book by my favorite author, Daphne DuMauier.




No comments: